Friday, February 13, 2015

Why Glacier Dental recommends flossing!

We know you've heard it a million times, why flossing is important and you should floss at least once a day. But why is it still always over looked? According to,, ""There is no instant gratification with flossing -- that's the problem," says Alla Wheeler, RDH, MPA, associate professor of the Dental Hygiene Program at the New York University School of Dentistry. "Patients don't think it does anything." " 

And it's true, right? But think about it this way, brushing your teeth only cleans them 70%. Flossing cleans the remaining 30%. When you take a shower, do you only clean your body and not your hair? Of course not!

But what purpose does flossing have in cleaning your teeth? Isn't brushing them good enough? Flossing gets any bacteria out from between the teeth and it also can clean a little deeper into your gums. The bristles on your toothbrush cannot reach these areas. It also helps prevent gum disease and tooth loss. Gum disease and tooth loss!

Another added benefit to flossing, is less scraping at your hygiene appointment. If you're flossing at home at least once a day, you're removing plaque build up. If you don't floss to remove the plaque build up, it becomes harder and turns to tartar, and in return, the hygienist has to scrape it off and cause irritation to your gums.

Now some might say they don't floss because it causes them to bleed. This is normal the first few times flossing, if you have not flossed for quite some time. It just means there was some plaque there and it needed to be cleaned out. However, if bleeding does persist, you may want to go to your Dentist to have your gums checked out. Sometimes this is an early sign of periodontal disease (also known as gum disease or gingivitis).

If you think flossing is too "difficult" or "time consuming", try using a waterpik. Waterpiks use a powerful stream of water to clean between the teeth and below the gum line. Here's a short video clip if you're interested to see how it works: Waterpik Tutorial . Next time you're at your hygiene visit, ask your hygienist about our Waterpiks.

Hopefully this explains why flossing is so important! Losing your teeth and gum disease are only going to cause more pain and money in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment